The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation honored NBC’s Smash and CBS’ during a ceremony Saturday.
The New York leg of the watchdog group’s 24th annual Media Awards series also honored the documentary , and saw Madonna present Anderson Cooper with GLAAD’s Vito Russo Award, which honors openly gay media professionals who have made a difference in promoting equality.
Director Brett Ratner received GLAAD’s inaugural Ally Award for his work in launching the "Coming Out for Equality" PSA campaign along with Comcast. The event was hosted by anchors Lara Spencer, Josh Elliott and Sam Champion.
PHOTOS: ‘The Amazing Race’ Season 22: Meet the Teams
The GLAAD Media Awards fund the organization’s work of bringing stories of LGBT people and issues to the U.S. public. The events have raised nearly $3.5 million for the group annually. The awards series continues in Los Angeles April 20. Find Saturday’s winners below, and a complete list of nominees here.
– Vito Russo Award: Anderson Cooper
– Ally Award: Brett Ratner
– Outstanding Drama Series: (NBC)
– Outstanding Documentary: (Sundance Selects)
– Outstanding Reality Program: (CBS)
– Outstanding Newspaper Article: "Game Changer" by Andy Mannix ( [Minneapolis, Minn.])
– Outstanding Newspaper Columnist: Frank Bruni ()
– Outstanding Newspaper Overall Coverage:
– Outstanding Magazine Article: "School of Hate" by Sabrina Rubin Erdely ()
– Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage:
– Outstanding New York Theatre: Broadway & Off Broadway: by Samuel D. Hunter
– Outstanding New York Theatre: Off-Off Broadway: written by Michael Perlman in collaboration with Fault Line Theatre
– Outstanding Talk Show Interview: "Entrevista con Orlando Cruz" Titulares Telemundo (Telemundo)
– Outstanding Magazine Article: "Amor genuino" by Cristina Saralegui ()
– Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: "Operación tolerancia: la lucha contra la homofobia en los medios hispanos" by Lilia Luciano (voces.huffingtonpost.com)
– Outstanding Digital Journalism – Multimedia: "2013: Año clave para la comunidad gay" by Ramón Frisneda (ElDiarioNY.com)